Monday, September 26, 2011

Lay it Down


I woke up this morning feeling burdensome.  I prayed and it helped a little before I had to fly out the door for work.  I got to the tennis club and the burden stuck with me for majority of the morning.  Towards the end of morning practice, I went to talk to one of my students; she’s probably around 12 years of age.  I knew something was bothering her.  She then told me some of the other girls were aggravating her.  I told her, “you can choose to let this bother you or you can choose to let it go.”  I realize her emotions were taking control at the moment and she was upset.  Granted, she may have had a reason to be upset, but the choice was hers… whether she wanted to let it ruin her day or work past it. 

I was able to minister and help heed her emotions.  But the cool part of it for me was the aftermath of my own situation and burden I was carrying.  The very same counsel I gave her, I needed to listen to myself.  How often do we give advice to others, when we ourselves should be looking in the mirror?  I had a choice to make, I could let this burden weigh me down or I could give it to Jesus. 

Jesus says this in Matthew 11:28-30, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

The answer seems easy, right?  Easy to tell someone, but not always as easy when it pertains to us.  Again, so I’m faced with this choice… Do I let this burden bring me down or do I give it to the One who says, He’ll take all my fears, all my doubts and anything that could possibly be holding me back.  Psalm 55:22 says, “Cast your cares on the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken.”  The Lord is bound to His Word and He will never go back on it.  His character is true and just.  All we have to do is trust, because He will deliver and He will conquer!  There is no need to live in slavery when you are in Christ.  God is still in the business of setting the captives free!  Freedom awaits you… you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want to hear from you!