Monday, September 12, 2011

Seeing More

One of the questions we get on the small group leadership team from new small group leaders is, "Why do I need a coach?"  There are a lot of reasons for this, but a recent time playing with my daughter, Kassidy, reminded me of one of the reasons coaches are so important.


Kassidy and I horse around a lot.  She is at an age where she wants to play all the time.  Most of the time, the more dangerous, the better for her.  She loves being up high, sitting on my shoulders.  This particular day, she wanted to stand on my shoulders.  I looked over at Nichole, giving her a look as if to say, "You good with this?"  Nichole looked back at me with a look that said, "Yep, as long as nothing happens to her." (You know that look, right?)  So, I took Kassidy's hands, helped her climb up, and got her settled in standing on my shoulders.  The moment she was up there she said, "see more."  I asked her what she was seeing and she started pointing things out around the room that she had a hard time seeing from her height.  A whole new world was opened up to Kassidy.  She saw things from a different perspective. To me, it's what I always see because I am taller than her, but to her, it was pretty amazing. 


I immediately thought, what a great picture of what a coach does for a small group leader.  The coach has the ability to help the small group leader "See More" by allowing the small group leader to “stand on" their shoulders.  Coaches have a perspective that small group leaders do not have.  They have been there, done that.


Invariably the small group leader will have questions about how to do this, or what do I do with this type of personality, etc.  What a great opportunity that is to talk to your coach and gain from the perspective they have.  All of our coaches have a heart to serve and would love nothing more than having the opportunity to help with any question or situation you find yourself in as a small group leader. 


Coaches are not better people, they are just people that have been where you are and if you take the time to "stand on" their shoulders, you have an opportunity to "see more" and to see things from a different perspective.


I would encourage you to get to know your coach, spend time with them, and ask questions around thoughts you have pertaining to your small group.  Give them the opportunity to help you "See More."  You'll be glad you did.


Do you have any stories of someone helping you "See More," helping you see things from a different perspective?  Please tell us about it in the comment section below.........


by Sean Callaghan

5 comments:

  1. Awesome blog Pastor Sean! Our coaches do a great job of helping us "See More!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the visual of Kassidy taking in new sights upon your shoulders. Sometimes all we need is a new perspective to see the bigger picture.

    My lead coach has been such a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great depiction of a coach. We all need shoulders to stand on or we will stay in our own little world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shout out Chris & Bonnie McKinley for "coaching" Mike & I...even as our small group leaders. They allowed us to see that we are not alone in the issues we face as a married couple. They also helped to "navigate", right alongside us, through "the storms of life".... in a Christ centered and biblical way. What better way to "live life together" than with people who know the Word and can steer you in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Suzette's thoughts on navigation. I agree, with her 100% about life being all about doing life together with people who know the Word and can guide us in the right directions~Christ Centered~ pathways. Small groups can be wonderful with the well trained, Christ Centered team. I wish all churches knew the value of this.

    ReplyDelete

We want to hear from you!